TORONTO MARLIES (14-16-1-1) vs MANITOBA MOOSE (14-13-3-2)
WEDNESDAY, JANUARY 4, 2017
Toronto: D. Timashov (4) (C. Smith), B. Leipsic (9) PP (K. Kapanen, A. Nielsen), T. Lindberg (5) (A. Campbell, A. Nielsen), K. Rychel (7) PP (A. Nielsen, K. Kapanen)
Goaltender: J. Enroth 29/32
Manitoba: C. De Leo (8) (S. Glennie, B. Kitchton), S. Glennie (4) (K. Cuzuczman, D. DeSalvo), S. Kosmachuk (5) (Unassisted)
Goaltender: E. Comrie 31/35
FROM THE SCORESHEET
- Dmytro Timashov opened the scoring with his fourth of the season at 5:23 of the first period.
- Brendan Leipsic picked up his ninth of the season and has seven points (3 goals, 4 assists) in his past seven games. Leipsic is tied for the team lead in scoring with 30 points (9 goals, 21 assists).
- Tobias Lindberg scored his fifth of the season at 5:13 in the third period. Lindberg has 12 points (5 goals, 7 assists) this season.
- Kerby Rychel added his seventh of the season and 14th power-play point at 7:59 of the third period. Rychel has 18 points (7 goals, 11 assists) on the season.
- Kasperi Kapanen collected two assists, extending his point streak to six games (4 goals, 4 assists) and has 14 points (6 goals, 8 assists) in his past 11 games. Kapanen is tied with Leipsic for the team lead in scoring with 30 points (14 goals, 16 assists).
- Andrew Nielsen picked up three assists and now sits at 24 points (5 goals, 18 assists) and is second in rookie scoring for defenceman.
- Colin Smith and Andrew Campbell both registered an assist in tonight’s game.
- Jhonas Enroth picked up his second win with the Marlies, stopping 29 of 32 shots.
- The Marlies improve to 5-11-1-1 on the road this season.
- Toronto went 5-for-6 on the penalty kill and 2-for-3 on the power-play.
- The Marlies outshot the Moose 35 to 32. Colin Greening led the way with four shots on goal.
- Marc-André Cliche is two games away from playing in his 400th career AHL game. He is also two assists away from 100 career AHL assists.
- Brendan Leipsic is five assists away from 100 career AHL assists.
- Colin Smith is six assists away from 100 career AHL assists.
- Andrew Campbell is six assists away from 100 career AHL assists.
POST GAME QUOTES
“It’s been a long time coming for our guys, I thought we played a good game today. It was far from perfect, far from where we want to be but a lot of really good steps in the right direction for us as a team. I thought we moved the puck really well, as good as we’ve moved it in quite some time and it’s a sign that our confidence is coming. That’s what we’ve been trying to instill in our guys and give them the freedom to make plays.”
– Sheldon Keefe, Marlies Head Coach
“It feels great. It’s no secret that goals have been hard to come by lately for us so to get a little momentum and to break out feels good and hopefully we can keep the ball rolling a little bit. I thought we broke out a lot better, our passes were a lot crisper than in previous games. We were breaking out really well and had speed through the middle. I think that factored into our success.”
– Brendan Leipsic, Marlies Forward
NEXT GAME: Saturday, January 7, 2017 vs Rochester – 5:00 p.m. EST